By Burt Feintuch
In 1899, a fundraising software for Berea university featured a bunch of scholars from the mountains of jap Kentucky making a song conventional songs from their houses. The viewers used to be entranced. That small en-counter on the finish of the final century lies close to the start of an extraordinary nationwide -- and foreign -- fascination with the indigenous tune of a unmarried nation. Kentucky has lengthy figured prominently in our nationwide experience of conventional track. through the years, a various staff of individuals -- reformers, fans, the musically literate and the musically illiterate, radicals, liberals, a ... Read more...
Read Online or Download Kentucky Folkmusic. An Annotated Bibliography PDF
Best bibliographies & indexes books
Booklet by way of Siess, Judith A.
No longer lengthy after changing into public future health issues within the Nineteen Eighties, HIV and AIDS have been featured in a few works of fiction, even though such titles have been written essentially for grownup readers. Mirroring the disease's indiscriminate nature, notwithstanding, the topic could quickly be included into novels aimed toward teens.
Whereas different Bible catalogs can be found, this complete reference booklet is destined to develop into the traditional within the box. Chamberlin's one-volume paintings lines the e-book background of a number of variants of Bible translations and gives priceless decriptive annotations. The catalog not just contains entire Bibles, but additionally previous and New Testaments, partial texts, commentaries that come with translations, kid's Bibles, Apocryphal writings, and the Koran, to boot.
The most recent version of an immense literature consultant presents citations and informative annotations on a variety of reference assets, together with manuals, bibliographies, indexes, databases, literature surveys and experiences, dissertations, publication reports, convention complaints, awards, and employment and provide resources.
- The Children's Song Index, 1978-1993
- Evaluating Chicago Sociology: A Guide to the Literature, With an Annotated Bibliography
- New York Philharmonic: The Authorized Recordings, 1917-2005
- Daniel Webster: A Bibliography (Bibliographies of American Notables)
Additional info for Kentucky Folkmusic. An Annotated Bibliography
159. Ritchie, Edna [Edna Ritchie Baker]. '" Mountain Life and Work 26, no. 3 (1950): 13-14. A song text, with melody, learned by a member of the famous singing family when she taught school at Lotts Creek, Cordia. 160. Ritchie, Jean. A Garland of Mountain Song. New York: Broadcast Music, 1953. Songs for singing from the repertoire of the celebrated Ritchie family. Notes give the family context. The forward by Alan Lomax discusses the family, concentrating on Jean. 161. "' Appalachian Heritage 1, no.
88. Helton, Roy. " Appalachian Heritage 6, no. 4 (1978): 6-7. Gives text for a song claimed to be exclusively a Kentucky ballad. No melody. 89. Henry, Mellinger Edward. " journal of American Folklore 42 (1929): 254-300. A collection of songs from Kentucky and the rest of the southern highlands. Includes comparative headnotes and sample melodies. 90. Folk-Songs from the Southern Highlands. J. Augustin, 1938. A collection of songs which includes Kentucky materials. Has extensive headnotes and many tunes.
Sturgill, Virgil L. " Kentucky Folklore Record 5 (1959): 61-64. Text and music of a Carter County murder ballad collected in 1957. ---. " North Carolina Folklore 6, no. 2 (1958): 26-28. A murder ballad from Carter County, with melody. 208. - - - . " Kentucky Folklore Record 12 (1966): 4-5. Refers to two Carter County murder ballads. 209. Sulzer, Elmer Griffith. Twenty-Five Kentucky Folk Baiiads. , 1936. " 210. Sweet Freedom's Song. d. Includes a variety of songs from eastern Kentucky, some published previously elsewhere.