By Klaus K. Klostermaier
The 3rd version of this well-regarded advent to Hinduism provides new fabric at the religion's origins, on its family with rival traditions, and on Hindu technological know-how.
Read Online or Download A Survey of Hinduism, Third Edition PDF
Similar hinduism books
The Bhagavad Gita, the track of the Lord, is an old Hindu scripture approximately advantage, awarded as a discussion among Krishna, an incarnation of God, and the warrior Arjuna at the eve of a very good conflict over succession to the throne.
This new verse translation of the vintage Sanskrit textual content combines the abilities of top Hinduist Gavin Flood with the stylistic verve of award-winning poet and translator Charles Martin. the result's a residing, brilliant paintings that avoids uninteresting pedantry and is still real to the terribly influential unique. A devotional, literary, and philosophical masterpiece of unsurpassed attractiveness and creative relevance, The Bhagavad Gita has encouraged, between others, Mahatma Gandhi, J. Robert Oppenheimer, T. S. Eliot, Christopher Isherwood, and Aldous Huxley. Its common themes—life and demise, conflict and peace, sacrifice—resonate in a West more and more drawn to japanese non secular studies and the Hindu diaspora.
The Bhagavad Gita is without doubt one of the such a lot respected texts of all time, yet it’s frequently impenetrable to the 21st-century seeker. In Gita knowledge, Joshua Greene retells this undying textual content in a very new means, revealing that it's, in essence, a heart-to-heart speak among pals in regards to the which means of existence.
Books approximately Hinduism frequently commence by way of noting the giant measurement and complexity of the topic. Hinduism is huge and numerous, they are saying. Or it does not exist in any respect -- Hinduism is in simple terms a handy (and international) time period that mask a plurality of traditions. In both case, readers are discouraged by way of the concept that they're getting just a tiny pattern or a shallow evaluate of anything large and uniquely tricky.
Examines how visionaries of historical Shaiva knowledge outlined our function in production, how we've got deserted this position, and motion we will take to creatively impression our future. the writer spent greater than two decades in India and used to be some of the most distinctive orientalists.
- Filming the Gods: Religion and Indian Cinema (Religion and Media)
- Little India: Diaspora, Time, and Ethnolinguistic Belonging in Hindu Mauritius
- Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines
- Religion of India (The Sociology of Hinduism and Buddhism)
- The Goddess in India: The Five Faces of the Eternal Feminine
- Indian Mythology: Tales, Symbols, and Rituals from the Heart of the Subcontinent
Extra info for A Survey of Hinduism, Third Edition
Painted gray ware culture in the western Gangetic plains, dated ca. 1100 bce, has been found connected to earlier Indus Valley black and red ware. It would be strange indeed if the Vedic Indians had lost all recollection of such a momentous event as the Aryan invasion in supposedly relatively recent times—much more recent, for instance, than the migration of Abraham and his people, which is well attested and frequently referred to in the Hebrew Bible. T H E B EG I N N I N GS OF H I N DU I S M 23 I N DUS C U LT U R E OR S A R A S VAT Ī C I V I L I Z AT ION ?
2. 17 The admission of some of the top scholars (like Geldner, who in his translation of the Ṛgveda—deemed the best so far—declares many passages “darker than the darkest oracle,” or Gonda, who considered the Ṛgveda basically untranslatable) of being unable to make sense of a great many Vedic texts—and the refusal of most to go beyond a grammatical and etymological analysis of these—indicates a deeper problem. The ancient Indians were not only poets and literateurs, but they also had their practical sciences and their technical skills, their secrets and their conventions that are not self-evident to someone who does not share their world.
The identity of Hinduism rests primarily on the particular line of verbal revelation on which the Hindu tradition is grounded. The Vedas and the other books, which are held sacred as scriptures by Hindus, differentiate Hinduism from other religions possessing their own specific holy books, and they permit at least in a negative way a definition of the essentials of Hinduism over against what is not Hinduism. While acceptance of the Veda as revealed is certainly the most basic criterion for declaring oneself a Hindu—the preferred self-designation of Hinduism in Indian languages is Vaidika dharma, the “Vedic Law”—there is another genre of literature that has shaped the minds and hearts of present-day Hindus much more profoundly: the two great epics, Mahābhārata and Rāmāyana, and the voluminous Purāṇas, the true Bibles of Hinduism.
- Download Ritual Participation and Interreligious Dialogue: by Marianne Moyaert, Joris Geldhof PDF
- Download The Ultimate Medicine: Dialogues with a Realized Master by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj PDF